Last week, the European Parliament’s ITRE committee voted for lowering roaming costs within the EU. This marked a big success and step forward for our campaign. The Parliament’s vote followed a proposal of the European Commission from last July but demands even lower price caps for roaming:
- no more than 15 ct/min to make calls and 5 ct/min to receive calls by 2014,
- no more than 5 ct for sending SMS,
- no more than 50 ct/MB for internet access from 2012,
- no more than 20 ct/MB for internet access from 2014,
- easier access for alternative operators to offer cheaper roaming services.
Paul Rübig, MEP from Upper Austria for the ÖVP/European Peoples’ Party and initiator of the first EU roaming regulation of 2007 supports Europeans for Fair Roaming and our fight against high roaming charges across the EU. Rübig thanked us for our efforts to represent the interests of consumers, citizens and enterprises in Europe. He is a member of the European Parliament committee on Industry, Research and Energy (ITRE) which is in charge of the roaming regulation in the European Parliament.
Please have a look at his website at www.paulruebig.eu to find out more about his activities.